[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Zachary Cairns cairnsz at umsl.edu
Wed May 21 15:55:21 PDT 2014

Anna,

Thanks for asking this question -- I've been very interested to read
everyone's replies so far!

At University of Missouri - St. Louis, our undergraduate core is a
four-semester sequence.  The written and aural components are taught in
separate classes, by separate professors. But their curricula are linked,
on a weekly basis, as much as is possible.  As such, students cannot
progress in the course sequence until they have earned a C or better in
both areas (a student may not be enrolled in Theory III and Aural Training
I simultaneously).  Keyboard skills are taught in a separate class, and are
unfortunately isolated.

Written theory -- meets 2 days a week, for 75 minutes per day, and the
students earn three credits for this class each semester.
Aural theory -- meets 2 days a week, for 50 minutes per day, and the
students are shortchanged by only earning one credit for this class (a
common criticism on course evaluations...)
Keyboard skills -- meets 2 days a week, for 50 minutes per day, one credit
here, as well.

I should mention that our four-semester sequence is exclusively devoted to
tonal theory.  We have a separate class for post-tonal theory (2 days a
week, 50 minutes per day, two credits), but it is (unfortunately) not
required of all students.

Hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your curricular
changes!
Zac

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM, David Feurzeig <mozojo at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are theory and aural skills integrated or taught in separate classes?
> Are keyboard skills included or taught separately?
>
> There is an excellent overview of pedagogical pros and cons in Michael R.
> Rogers' "Teaching Approaches in Music Theory".
>
> Having gone through three revisions at three very different institutions,
> I believe these perennial questions are always important to ponder, but
> have no right answers.
>
> While the background of the typical student may have changed in the last
> few decades, which might affect the choices a particular department makes,
> the issues Rogers considers are much the same now as ever.
>
> David Feurzeig
> The University of Vermont

Zachary Cairns
Assistant Professor of Music Theory