[Smt-talk] Core music theory courses for undergraduates

Stephen Soderberg hyperchord at me.com
Thu May 22 12:31:48 PDT 2014

On May 21, 2014, at 11:35 PM, "Ninov, Dimitar N" <dn16 at txstate.edu> wrote:
The fourth semester of harmony for the general majors will be devoted to 20th century, but mostly to the music of Debussy, Ravel, Strauss, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Bartok, Hindemith, Honegger, Orff, Messiaen, Britten, Copland, Gershwin, Enesku, and the like, which is the music that is most valued, sought after, performed and recorded today, the music which fills the hall and leaves a deep impact on professionals and music lovers alike. Serial music shall be studied for a much shorter time, and pitch set theory shall be mentioned in passing as a curious way of dealing with musical content, which does not require any musical capabilities on the part of the analyst.

I believe I speak on behalf of many who for various understandable reasons don't want to go on record:
Would someone walk over to the physics department and ask our colleagues over there how they would deal with a creationist who somehow managed to get a PhD in physics? Please?!!!!

Steve Soderberg
Keswick, VA