[Smt-talk] Palestrina and Jeppesen, was: MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Thu May 29 00:08:03 PDT 2014

Comments to Peter Schubert:

> An entertaining feature of this list is the expressions of intense
> loyalty that theorists often feel towards the methods they were
> trained in.

I am glad you are entertained, but where did you find such
"expressions of intense loyalty" in this thread? Seems mystifying to me.

> I apologize if I offended anyone by criticizing Jeppesen, and I
> intend to post a short piece on my page at academia.edu to
> “substantiate” my opinion. I’ll notify the list.

The point is really not about anyone's being "offended" by your
critique of Jeppesen. I wish you concentrated on the actual subject
matter instead of the imagined attitudes and emotions of other list
members.

As I think my first post made clear, the point is that without
reasonable justification your extreme critique remains fruitless and
very unconvincing.

I am looking forward to your notification about a "clear and
persuasive" argument. I also try to take a look at your JAMS article
that you mentioned.

Best wishes,
Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy