[Smt-talk] MISSING THEORY COMPONENT?

Markus Jans jans-thorpe at bluewin.ch
Sun May 25 00:11:06 PDT 2014

There is, however, a very interesting little article by Hans Ulrich Lehmann, a Swiss composer and theory teacher, addressing the issue. He examines the intimate relationship between language-melody as well as text-rhythm and the  Gestalt of  Soggetti. In addition to that, he also addresses the (however discrete) relationship between text-content and melodic Gestalt. He does all this  with examples of Palestrina, but could have taken any other composer of the time. The principles are universe. The article appeared in the „105. Jahresbericht der Musik-Akademie der Stadt Basel“ in  1971/72, pages 51-68. Since most of you will not have easy access to it, I attach the text below.
Heartily
Markus Jans
prof. em. Schola Cantorum Basiliensis
Hoschule für Alte Musik, Basel