[Smt-talk] Requesting Feedback about Remedial Music Theory

Catherine (Kate) Legge clegge at u.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 19 07:44:07 PST 2014

Hello,

My name is Catherine Legge and I am currently an MA Music Theory Pedagogy
student at the Eastman School of Music. For a pedagogy project, I am
collecting information about remedial music theory (aural and written) and
how it is handled at different professional universities and institutions.
I am writing to everyone in hopes of receiving some information as well as
any feedback from as many music theorists as possible.

This may include information about who is authorized to teach remedial
courses (tenure track professors, graduate assistants, etc.), whether
written theory and aural skills are combined in one class or remain
separate, when remedial theory is offered (summer session, only fall
session, etc.), how often remedial classes meet (5 days a week for 1 hour
per class), how remedial theory fits in the entire curriculum (students are
always behind a semester/year, students are streamlined by their sophomore
year), textbooks or materials used to teach remedial theory, or any other
pertinent information you are willing to write to me about.

All information on this topic is beneficial for me, so detailed responses
are absolutely welcome! Thank you for your time and I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Catherine (Kate) Legge

--