[Smt-talk] "Pre-music" major?

Zachary Cairns cairnsz at umsl.edu
Thu Oct 30 14:26:01 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I apologize for posting a question here that isn't specifically related to
music theory.  But, I wanted to ask whether any of you teach at schools
where students are not allowed to officially declare music as a major until
after certain standards are met (class prerequisites, GPA requirement,
barrier exam, etc).

For reasons that I'd be happy to discuss privately, my university is
exploring moving to this kind of structure, where students would be
designated as "pre-music majors" for the first year, and then, after
successful completion of X, Y, and Z, could apply to our B.M. (or B.A.)
programs beginning in the sophomore year.  I was hoping to hear feedback
from any of you on this kind of structure, if it is in place at your school.

Please reply off-list.

Thank you very much for your time and help!
Zac

PS -- I realize that we've got some "hyphen" work to do.  I'm not sure I'd
be terribly excited about studying "pre-music," whatever that may be...

--
Zachary Cairns
cairnsz at umsl.edu