[Smt-talk] IV4/3 and IV4/2

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Tue Sep 9 04:50:15 PDT 2014

Dear Tim,

Do you mean the diatonic or chromatic version? Outside a sequence, the diatonic, with its M7, is rare because it's dissonant. The IV-7, functioning as V-7 of bVII in minor, is found in Baroque repertoire, in progressions such as IV4/3 to bVII and IV4/2 to bVII6. Both diatonic and chromatic versions belong in sequential descending 5ths cycles. See Carlo Cotumacci's descending Regola in minor (Rosa Cafiero). Look in the episodic passages of the WTC.

Best,
Donna Doyle

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Aaron Copeland School of Music