[Smt-talk] Tritone subs and the subtonic neighbor

Nicole Biamonte nbiamonte at aya.yale.edu
Fri Jun 12 08:04:12 PDT 2009

 How broadly are you defining "popular"?  The earliest examples I know are
16th-c. passamezzo antico/romanesca-type patterns, e.g.
"Greensleeves."  There are lots of later instances from the Anglo-American
folk tradition, such as "Drunken Sailor," "Scarborough Fair," and "She
Moved through the Fair" (19th c?).  Another example from 1947 is Burton
Lane's "Old Devil Moon."

Nicole Biamonte
Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Iowa