[Smt-talk] Tritone subs and the subtonic neighbor

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Fri Jun 12 10:06:34 PDT 2009

Perhaps these early/ folk examples are the products of the use of
natural instruments (as opposed to chromatically valved/keyed).
Often found in bagpipe music are both the lowered seventh and raised
fourth scale degrees filling in the major pentatonic scale--
resulting in the 'acoustic' or 'lydian-flat 7' scale.  (An NYPD piper
demonstrated this for me several years ago.)

  Donna Doyle

Aaron Copland School of Music
Queens College
65-30 Kissena Blvd.