[Smt-talk] The Prog-rock Symphony?

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at princeton.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:09:46 PST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me come up with examples of what I
think of as the "Prog-rock Symphony" -- album-length, through-composed
instrumental pieces suggesting some sort of classical influence,
however vague.

For example, Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells," Zappa's "Grand Wazoo,"
or Jean-Michel Jarre's "Oxygene."

There are lots of examples with vocals; I'm happy to hear everyone's
favorite instances, but I'm particularly interested in instrumental
albums.

Thanks,
DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri