[Smt-talk] Pop songs with metrically altered transistions

Brad Osborn webpine brad06 at u.washington.edu
Sun Nov 29 13:25:59 PST 2009

Adam,

My presentation at MTSNYS this year on changing meter in math rock included
several examples where the meter change happens at sectional transitions.
 I'd have to dig up the paper to give you a comprehensive list, but, off the
top of my head:

*Mew, "An Envoy to the Open Fields": The verse alternates bars of 11/8 and
7/8, only including the squared-off 4/4 bar at the sectional transition.

*Panic! at the Disco, "We're so Starving":  This short opening track is a
tour-de-force of chopped phrase lengths between sections, while a later song
"Nine in the Afternoon" places a truncated bar of 3 between successive verse
phrases.

In remembering these examples, I find myself wondering whether you are
limiting this study to divisions between named sections (e.g. pre-chorus to
chorus) or if you are also looking at phrase divisions within a single
section (e.g. 2 phrases composing a verse).

best of luck,
Brad

Brad Osborn
Ph.D. Candidate, Music Theory
University of Washington School of Music
Brad06 at u.washington.edu

Subscriptions Manager
Perspectives of New Music
pnmsubs at u.washington.edu