[Smt-talk] Good Primer for First-Year Students on Gender in Music and Music Theory?

Mitch Ohriner mohriner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 19:40:56 PST 2009

Hello all,

I can understand the reaction first-year students might have to the
"Feminist Theory" article, and I might suggest Cusick's "On Musical
Performances of Gender and Sex" in *Audible Traces:  Gender, Identity, and
Music*, ed. Elaine Radoff Barkin and Lydia Hamessley (Theodore Front Music,
1999).  The chapter is available on Google Books
[here<http://books.google.com/books?id=NXHts7mV4ZgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_navlinks_s#v=onepage&q=&f=false>].
Many of the concepts from the earlier "Feminist Theory" article are
refreshed in this chapter, but I find the analytical portions to be very
accessible.  Cusick examines timbral differences between the voices of Eddie
Vedder and the Indigo Girls and details the ways in which these voices
perform gender.  If you're looking to demonstrate to students why gender
should be an aspect of analysis, this is a great place to start.

All the best,

-Mitch Ohriner
Indiana University