[Smt-talk] Good Primer for First-Year Students on Gender in Music and Music Theory?

Gabe Fankhauser fankhauserg at appstate.edu
Sun Nov 29 21:28:25 PST 2009

Alex,

Good question. First, SMT's Committee on the Status of Women
(http://societymusictheory.org/administration/committees/women) provides
a page with several great sources, many with which I'm guessing you are
familiar: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~leigh/csw/csw/CSWBib2.html. That
page could use updating.

Second, I applaud your efforts to try to show a bigger picture in your
Theory I courses. I suspect, however, that for a Theory I course,
readings would have to be by nature less musical and more generally
philosophical. It can be a challenge to find accessible music theory
articles even for upper-level courses. The most successful (accessible)
readings that I have assigned to undergraduates tend to relate analysis
to performance, but I am interested to see if others can recommend
introductory readings suitable for undergrads.

Thanks,

Gabe

--
Gabe Fankhauser, PhD