[Smt-talk] Pop songs with metrically altered transistions

K. Christian McGuire kmcguire at bitstream.net
Mon Nov 30 05:56:26 PST 2009

Speaking of bassists,  "II B.S." by Charles Mingus (as it appears on the
album, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus) contains two transitional
measures of 2/4 in an otherwise 4/4 12-bar g-minor blues.

The first occurs after the intro swing build up prior to the alto sax solo
(approx 1m:27s on my CD recording)
The second occurs (after the stop time section) between the tenor sax solo
prior to the piano solo (approx 2m46s)

These have always struck me as a bit odd in that the finished recording
sounds like Mingus abruptly spliced in the sax and piano solos --
It might be worth comparing this recording to live versions of the "Haitian
Fight Song" (same tune, different titles) to see if these 2/4 measures are
retained.

Sincerely,
K. Christian McGuire,
Instructor of Music History and Music Theory
Studio Artist: Electric Bass
Director of Rock & Improv Ensembles
Augsburg College
Music Department
2211 Riverside Avenue
Mpls MN 55454
mcguire at augsburg.edu
http://www.augsburg.edu/music/

International Society of
Hildegard von Bingen Studies, Treasurer & Webmaster
http://www.hildegard-society.org/

Musicologist & Electric Bassist
http://www.grianeala.com
kmcguire at bitstream.net / cell: 651-270-5807