[Smt-talk] accellerandi-pieces

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 14 23:42:15 PDT 2009

Dear colleages,
with students in theory class we have been working on the idea of an
infinite accellerando (or ritardando) in analogy to the illusion of
infinite ascend (or descend) in pitch height in the Shepard scale (or
glissando). The solution we came up with is a combination of
(1) a non-periodic self-similar rhythm (such as investigated by Norman
Carey and David Clampitt in their 1996 PNM article: "Self-similar
pitch structures, their duals, and rhythmic analogues"), which is
played simultaneously at several speeds, where "old" levels fade out
and new levels fade in through a Gaussian envelope for the amplitude,
and
(2) an exponential time flow (which is the physical time of
performance as a function of symbolic score time). All of the
(infinitely many) voices silently start simultaenously at minus
infinity  ;-)
One of the students, Christobal Massis Valencia (percussionist),
realized a ritardando (in combination with an "infinite" descend) as a
homework on that class:
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll/sqrt2
Thomas Noll

Thomas Noll
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició