[Smt-talk] accellerandi-pieces

Justin London jlondon at carleton.edu
Thu Oct 15 06:09:51 PDT 2009

This is a nifty idea, but I don't think it works.  For the
periodicities one tracks in the ritardando illusion are invidividual,
discernable strands of the musical texture (so to speak), as these
stream separately from the other periodicities at different rates in
different registers.  Whereas in the case of the shepherd tones, the
components tend to fuse into a single tone percept, which enables the
illusion.

Best,
Justin London