[Smt-talk] Can anyone I.D. this song?

Chris Bonds chbonds1 at willy.wsc.edu
Thu Jan 21 16:34:54 PST 2010

I often hear this dance/club genre song in the grocery store that has a
recurring refrain by at least 3 female voices in a minor key. The chords
are VI - i 6/4 - V - i (or in G minor: Eb-Gm/D-D-Gm) and the melody
notes (in c minor) are Bb - Bb - A - Bb. The Eb chord is 4 beats, the
next 2 are 2 beats each, and the last chord is a short staccato note.
This is a stock harmonic cadential progression that sticks out like a
sore thumb in today's modal/penta/one-note melodic pop universe. It
occurs at least a half dozen times in between verses and is sung with
great enthusiasm. What is the song? (I don't know, I'm hoping one of you
does.) It's a good example of a cadential 6-4 in a radio hit.

Chris Bonds
Wayne State College (Retired)