[Smt-talk] Traveling abroad

William Caplin caplin at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 19 13:29:19 PDT 2010

Dear colleagues:

After my own recent experience of traveling to Heathrow Airport and
then being denied entry to the UK because of some obscure bureaucratic
measures (something involving the "Tier 5" point system), I suggest
that all members of SMT seek clear advice in advance on how to avoid
such problems when traveling abroad, especially if you will be
receiving an honorarium for any talks that you might be invited to
present.

Another academic, a professor of literature from UMass Boston, was
sent back home on the same afternoon as my own unpleasant experience.
So this is obviously a problem that is more widespread than I was
aware of.

Bill

_____________________________
William E. Caplin