[Smt-talk] Schenker quotation

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Thu Aug 25 02:57:12 PDT 2011

Dear List,

I wonder if anyone could help me with the following problem. I am
writing an article in my native language (Finnish) and would like to
quote Schenker's statement printed as "E" in Appendix 4 of Free
Composition. Now I feel it would be a bit clumsy to translate the
quotation from English (or quote it in English) instead of the German
original. However, it is not so easy to get the German original,
since the German edition we have in our library is the 1956 Jonas
edition, in which, I think, this passage is omitted (though I have
not been able to check this since the library is closed until Sep. 1).

I don't suppose the original edition of Der Freie Satz is available
in the Internet, even though there is a Schenker Documents Online
project? If I am wrong, I would be grateful for information.
Otherwise, I would be most grateful if someone with the original
edition available could kindly send the passage to me.

**

Perhaps someone might be interested in, or amused by, my purpose in
this quotation. I am writing an article about Sibelius's 5th symphony
(1st movement), comparing the 1915 first version with the 1919 final
version. I argue that the latter includes several features not found
in the former that support the formation of Schenkerian patterns,
including a strongly articulated 5-Urlinie. In other words,
Schenkerian theory has great explanatory power for Sibelius's
revisions, which ties in with my general interest in explicating the
empiric support for Schenkerian concepts.

When working on this Symphony, Sibelius wrote in his diary, "It is as
if God the Father had thrown down mosaic pieces from the floor of
heaven and asked me to figure out how it was." Now, it seems that the
first version already contained all the necessary mosaic pieces, but
the larger "floor of heaven" pattern was only discovered during the
revision of the Symphony and shows a Schenkerian Ursatz! Reflecting
Zeitgeist, Sibelius's metaphor reverbates amusingly with the Schenker
passage I am inquiring about, in which Schenker, invoking theological
perspectives, compares the Ursatz (fundamental structure) to the
celestial in music.

Olli Väisälä,
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi