[Smt-talk] prolongation

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun Jul 17 07:40:13 PDT 2011

In so far as Schenkerian prolongation can be represented by letters, I'd
answer something like this:

If the prolongation of a chord *Y* produces a chord *x* (not all
prolongations produce new chords), then, in specific cases, the result
may be of the form *y–x–y*. It would however be mistaken to believe that
the resulting *y*'s are the same thing as the original *Y*: they do not
belong to the same level.

Going on with alphabetic labels, the model representing this situation
might be formulated as follows:
_*y – x – y*_
*Y*

In what sense does Schenkerian prolongation "let Y grow"? I don't
suppose it necessary to repeat here Schenker's organic metaphors. From a
more technical point of view, Schenker views the initial chord as
delimiting a "tonal space", intervals between disjunct degrees, open to
be filled by conjunct voice leading. This particularly is the case of
triads, the degrees of which remain disjunct in any inversion. The
conjunct movements therefore necessarily involve notes foreign to the
initial chord. This process of filling the tonal space by conjunct
movements is the main process of prolongation: in lets the prolonged
chord extend on a considerable span of time. [Calling this extension a
"growth" is part of the organic metaphor, which one may or may not like;
yet, even "extension" already is a metaphor: any description of music
has to be metaphoric in a way or another.]
     Schenker himself gives the example of the first two bars of
Chopin's Prelude op. 28 n. 6; one could easily extend the example to the
first four bars: they form a four-bar prolongation of the chord of b
minor, by arpeggiation, neighbor notes and passing notes, without any
intervening new chord being created. One could similarly quote the first
four bars of Chopin's Nocturne op. 27 n. 2, prolonging a Db major chord.
     In the first four bars of Bach's C major Prelude of WTC I, the
chord of C major is prolonged by neighbour notes exclusively. Here,
however, these filling notes meet to produce new chords, new tonal
spaces, which might have been further prolonged if Bach had wanted to
produce a longer work. Here, *Y* (C major) grows, is prolonged, into
*y–z–x–y*; each of these is turn is shortly prolonged by arpeggios.

This brings us back to Dmitri's initial opposition between the
descriptive usage of Roman numerals and the "intentional" idea of
prolongation. In the case of Bach's Prelude, *y–z–x–y *could be replaced
by I–ii–V–I. But that would say nothing of the origin of these four
chords, of the reasons why they follow each other in that sense, etc.
[In this particular case, the description by the voice leading does not
say much either about the grammaticality of the phrase and, in
particular, does not say why Bach could not have written I–V–ii–I; but
that is another discussion.]

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne