[Smt-talk] transcriptions and recordings of diaphonic singing

Paul Siskind siskinpa at potsdam.edu
Sun Mar 20 16:53:27 PDT 2011

Hello Luis:  There were two excellent old Nonesuch Explorer Series LPs of Bulgarian music:  "A Harvest, a Shepherd, a Bride; Village Music of Bulgaria" (H-72034); and "In the Shadow of the Mountain; Bulgarian Folk Music" (H-72038).  They were later released as a single CD titled Village Music of Bulgaria (Elektra/Nonesuch 9 79195-2).  They contain field recordings from various regions, both vocal and instrumental.  They should be readily available in many music libraries, and I assume are also now available online.

A few years ago, I think I found some more good field recordings available as downloads; I think they were from eMusic.com.

A very good short book (an introduction, particularly good for students) is Timothy Rice's "Music from Bulgaria" in the Oxford series Experiencing Music, Experiencing Culture.  It doesn't have transcriptions per se, but it is a good, concise discussion about some of the theoretical aspects as well as cultural aspects.

...Paul

On Mar 19, 2011, at 6:51 PM, luis jure wrote:

> hello list,
>
> i'm trying to find good field recordings of diaphonic singing of bulgaria
> and macedonia (i mean, NOT "Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares" and the
> like...). i have the volume dedicated to bulgaria in the series "musics
> and musicians of the world" edited by auvidis. there are 3 or 4 songs from
> the shope country in this style.
>
> and *most important*, i'm trying to find articles or books including
> transcriptions of recordings that are available. the idea is comparing
> accepted ways of notating this music with the audio recordings.
>
> i found a pdf file on the web called THE HARVEST SINGING IN MACEDONIA with
> dozens of transcriptions, but the document seems to be part of a book and
> doesn't have much information about the sources. the details of the songs
> are in cyrillic and i can't read it.
>
> any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> best,
>
> lj
>

> --
> luis jure
> eMe - estudio de música electroacústica
> http://www.eumus.edu.uy/eme/
> http://www.eumus.edu.uy/docentes/jure/

Dr. Paul A. Siskind 								Home:
Professor of Composition and Theory 				Sweet Child Music
The Crane School of Music, SUNY-Potsdam 		69 N. Main Street
Potsdam, NY  13676 								Norwood, NY  13668
(315) 267-3241 									(315) 353-2389