[Smt-talk] Inquiry about Capiatl versus Lowercase Roman Numerals Usage

Daniel Roca drocacan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:27:43 PST 2012

In Spain the capital RN are much more widespread than the mixed system.
I also prefer it for it's uniformity and simplicity. I don't really understand the utility of marking the chord types when they are diatonic (i. e. proper to the system (major, minor, other scales...) of the piece). I like the sense in which a diatonic harmony is always marked the same way (f. ex. I-IV-V-I equally in both modes) and only departures from the "norm" received special markings.
Of course capital RN require a previous clear definition of what "diatonic chords" are meant in each case (I=major in major mode, minor in minor mode and so on).

I also think students should know the roots of the most common systems (jazz and functional/Riemann too).

El 10/12/2012, a las 15:00, Ninov, Dimitar N escribió:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Does anyone teach harmonic analysis with capital RN only, the key signature suggesting the size of the chords?
>
> Although I apply the mixed system at Texas Stet (because of the policy of the school) I prefer the capital numerals for they look neater and more uniform (in the good sense of the word). But I was curious to see the scale of its usage in the US. I also think American students should be acquainted with both systems for reference.
>
> Thank you.
>
> With best wisehs,
>
> Dimitar
>
> Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
> School of Music
> Texas State University
> 601 University Drive
> San Marcos, Texas 78666

_________
Mark Twain: Haz siempre lo correcto. Esto gratificará a algunos, dejará atónitos al resto.

Daniel Roca
Músico
drocacan at gmail.com