[Smt-talk] Clendinning/Marvin anthology

Steven Reale smreale at ysu.edu
Tue Jul 31 07:28:14 PDT 2012

Dear Professors Clendinning and Marvin and my other colleagues on this
list:

Our school has recently adopted /The Musician's Guide to Theory and
Analysis./ As preparations for the Fall semester continue, I find myself
puzzling over how to best incorporate Clendinning and Marvin's anthology
into my planning of the course. While the prose of the textbook and
certain exercises in the workbook indicate appropriate moments when
specific examples are to be referenced in the anthology, there does not
seem to be anything like an index that associates particular pieces in
the anthology with particular chapters in the textbook, or (even
better!) an index to coordinate anthology pieces with relevant topics.
In the former case, there is a repertoire list at the beginning of each
chapter, but not everything on that list is in the anthology, and it
isn't indicated which is which. I would also like to be able to use
examples from the anthology to provide supplementary in-class analysis
practice for the students, and it doesn't seem clear how to go about
coordinating that. I of course have my own collection of reference
pieces that I generally teach from, but since the students are paying
good money for the anthology, I want to make sure they get commensurate
use out of it.

If I've missed such an index, or if somebody has happened to already
compile one, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right
direction.

All best,

Steven Reale

--