[Smt-talk] Car names

Gregory Karl gregkarl at frontier.com
Tue Jul 24 06:17:10 PDT 2012

Well, if you are going to include "Accent," then I guess the Honda
"Accord" might count as well. And then of course there is the "Hot
Rod Lincoln:-)"

The prestige theory is plausible, but given that Hyundai and Kia are
parts of a single corporate entity and the makers of Coda are a come-
lately drafting on their success, perhaps we should be cautious about
reading too much into it. The root of this trend was the Sonata, a
model name with several things going for it when it was chosen in the
early 1980s. It is sonorous, shared the accent profile of then
successful models like Corolla and Corona, and would have been
(vaguely) familiar to the many western consumers to which it was to
be marketed as distinctly European, and thus non-Korean, sounding.

Greg Karl
Jay NY