[Smt-talk] Schenkerian analysis - visual impaired student

Bennighof, James James_Bennighof at baylor.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:51:33 PST 2012

It's unlikely that this would prove to be a useful approach to follow on any
continuing basis, but when I was in graduate school in the early 80s a blind
fellow student asked me to help her by embossing a Schenker graph on a large
piece of shelf paper (maybe four feet long); I had to draw the graph in
reverse in pencil on the paper and then go over all the pencil markings with
a toothed marking wheel (ordinarily used for sewing) so as to produce bumps
on the opposite side.  When the paper was turned over, the bumps reproduced
the graph, now unreversed.

I don't remember some of the crucial details of how much she was able to
comprehend.  I believe that she was at that point incapable of seeing
anything distinctly--perhaps just very large (furniture- or human-sized)
areas of darkness and light--but she must at some point (perhaps because of
having had more sight when younger) have learned about music notation in
general.  I think I or a faculty member probably talked her through what the
various figures meant.  But again, this was not a long-term study of
Schenker for her, but, I think, just something to give her a bit of a sense
of what it was like.

--Jim Bennighof
--
James Bennighof
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Policy