[Smt-talk] Last Reply to Prof. Vaisala

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Tue Nov 13 23:31:09 PST 2012

Well, well — it seems some people are more concerned with the form of
the message, others with content. Of course, we could leave this
issue at that. Nevertheless, perhaps it will do no harm to share some
thoughts about (n)etiquette. After all, some problems might be
related with our coming from different cultures with somewhat
different standards of good manners.

First, about greetings: Since these are not private letters but
comments in discussion, I have never thought that greetings are
obligatory or that omission of them could be considered impolite.

Second, how to address people: This is certainly an issue to which
the attitudes are widely different in different parts of the world.
In Germany, I think, titles like Dr. and Prof. are still widely used
(I have received letters calling me Herr Doktor Professor). In
France, to my knowledge, all people can be called Monsieur and Madame/
Mademoiselle (those who know better, correct me, if I'm wrong). In
the small North European country where I live – which has
exceptionally strong traditions of democracy and equality –
addressing people as Doctor or Professor would tend to make a
humorously old-fashioned impression. In this list, I have seen that
people usually call each other with first names, and I have mostly
followed suit.

In any case, I have always thought that in international
communication it is best to be very tolerant towards different ways
to address people. Owing to my cultural background, for example, it
did not occur to me that calling someone "Mr." (instead of Lecturer
or Dr., or Prof., for that matter) might be considered insulting. On
the other hand, I am also "tolerant" towards my being called "Prof.",
although my actual occupation is Lecturer. (A few years ago I used to
correct those who called me Prof., but then I stopped taking the
trouble since I felt a bit ridiculous in directing attention to such
a less relevant thing; the meaning of Prof. is, in any case,
different in different parts of the world.)

Third, a point that may be obvious to most who have followed this
discussion, but in the unlikely case that Dr. Ninov takes the trouble
of reading this, this might be explained. His message to which I
responded contained four points, to all of which I might have had
something to say. However, I felt unmotivated to take the trouble,
apart from listing the sections in Aldwell&Schachter that deal with
the issues he was concerned with, and felt that I owe him some kind
of an explanation. The main reason for my lack of motivation was, of
course, that arguments should be more clearly focused and justified.
Discussions are not likely to be fruitful, when it is not easy to
make sense of what someone is trying to say (musical examples do not
illustrate the point made verbally) or when his claims lack adequate
justification (the "certainty" about teaching in USA without
knowledge of A&S, for example).

(In addition, it seemed to me that points that I found interesting
did not tend to be interesting for Dr. Ninov. His thoughts about
"expansion of a principle" were, to me, strikingly reminiscent of the
thoughts about prolongation of rules in Schenker's Counterpoint,
which Dubiel discussed illuminatively in the article I mentioned. I
thought that my remark about this issue might stimulate him to
consider the relationship between his and Schenker's ideas, but his
response suggested that he has no interest in this.)

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi