[Smt-talk] Last Reply to Prof. Vaisala

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Wed Nov 14 09:58:13 PST 2012

As a matter of fact, I do believe that "prolongation of rules" always is
what Schenker means by "prolongation", which is not a common term in
German. This is not at all confined to Kontrapunkt. The term he used for
what is described as "prolongation" by American schenkerians is
"Auskomponierung". So far as I can tell, the shift of meaning is in
"Structural Hearing" by Felix Salzer.

See "Prolongation" in Wikipedia.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne
http://nicolas.meeus.free.fr
http://heinrichschenker.wordpress.com

(In the University Paris-Sorbonne, everyone is president of something,
or director of something else – an army of generals. We either use our
Christian name, or, mockingly, "M. le Président", "M. le Directeur"; a
"Professeur" without any other title is not worth adressing to. ;-))