[Smt-talk] Mozart harmonic progression

John Cuciurean jcuciure at uwo.ca
Wed Apr 24 12:36:09 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I am enjoying reading this thread, and like others, hope that Prof.
Proctor continues to participate -- I too have benefited from his insights.

In light of Charles Smith's latest offering, see also Beethoven's
Variations in C minor WoO 80, with a 6th above ^6 the bass leading to
Ger+6 over b^6 in the bass -- in this case a IV6 chord is used to
harmonize ^6 in the bass, which is indeed preceded by a harmony that
tonicizes IV with b^7 in the bass.

On a related note, see Purcell's "Dido's Lament" which I suspect has
been left off this thread due to the admitted absence of an Aug 6th
chord over b^6. That not withstanding, the voice-leading or harmonic
approach (pick your preference) from tonic to the harmony over b^6 (iv6
in Purcell's case) is treated in 6 (at least) different ways throughout
the piece that resonate closely with what Charles Smith has described
below (including voice-leading configurations that employ both a 6th
above ^6 in the bass as well as a 7th above ^6 in the bass, as
combinations of the two that employ a 7-6 susp over 6^ in the bass). I
will refrain from providing further commentary at this time but simply
offer this example as further fodder for this thread.  I will let others
determine whether they accept iv6 as a diatonic variant of what might
otherwise be an It+6 in Mozart's and Beethoven's settings of this
specific bass line.

Best,
John Cuciurean
Assoc Prof of Music Theory