[Smt-talk] Craig's List

Andie Sigler andrea.sigler at Mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 30 03:55:10 PDT 2013

Cope wrote several books about his programs without conveying enough
information to make any real use of his ideas. He failed to advance the
state of knowledge in the field of computational music generation. A review
can be found in Tom Collins' PhD thesis. (
http://www.tomcollinsresearch.net/publications.html) This includes an
analysis of a Cope (EMI) piece revealed to be a Chopin piece with some
notes erased and new notes filled in.

Studying Cope's algorithms, which unfortunately are not available for
study, would be (at best) a study of how to chop up pieces and put parts
together in a different order. I would rather a deeper study of invention
and thinking with basic musical materials.

I think there are fundamental problems that haven't been solved nearly as
much as some people think. The field of computational music generation is
still very young, and evaluation methodologies for *systems* aren't in
place -- essentially: evaluating just the *output* of systems without a
real understanding of the system is inadequate (e.g. for some of the
reasons described in this and my earlier post).

Andie Sigler
McGill University
Montreal