[Smt-talk] a la mode

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sun Dec 8 08:15:23 PST 2013

Ildar,

I never said that "it is counterproductive to derive contemporary
musical-theoretical concepts from Greek concepts", I will therefore not
"insist"on this.

What I had written is "It is counterproductive to believe that
"diatonic" may have kept the same sense from Greek Antiquity to our
days." I was not speaking of musical-theoretical concepts in general,
but only on this very specific term, "diatonic", of which I certainly do
not deny the Greek origin. I consider it counterproductive to believe
that the "sense" of the word did not change for now about 2500 years –
all the more so that the Greek meaning is not entirely clear and remains
open for discussion. For sure, our concept of what is diatonic derives
from the Greek concept; but the derivation itself has been a complex and
rich process.

In a similar "sense", I consider it counterproductive to claim that the
Greek knew Dorian, Phrygian and Lydian tetrachords (and to believe that
claiming their existence can be validated by their alleged Greek
origin), when there exists not a _single_ ancient Greek text mentioning
such tetrachords.

It is counterproductive to our Greek heritage to believe that it
includes modern fantasies. Our duty is to do our best to understand it
in its own terms – its own terms, both in concepts and in words. Modern
informed readers of Greek theories do not do so to "challenge" the
heritage, on the contrary.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne