[Smt-talk] quick query

Matthew Royal mroyal at brocku.ca
Thu Feb 14 09:44:18 PST 2013

as several people have noted, Burmeister's is usually given as the
first published music analysis.  Tinctoris does talk about the
modality of Dufay's "Le Serviteur," but this is not normally
identified as an analysis proper.  This, of course, raises the
question of how we define analysis within a theoretical treatise.
Some related questions are:

Must the passage contain the score of the piece? (Or, if it doesn't,
is it just a commentary?)
How long must the excerpt be? (There are many 16th-century examples of
snippets of pieces, or very short pieces).
Must exegesis of the piece be the end in itself? (Again, there are
numerous 16th-century  examples of pieces cited to illustrate some
point of theory, rather than to elucidate the pieces themselves).

Best

Matthew

Dr. Matthew S. Royal
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Music
Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
Brock University
500 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada L2S 3A1
Tel: (905) 688-5550 x5377
Fax: (905) 984-4861

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender by
e-mail and immediately delete this message and its contents. Thank you.