[Smt-talk] quick query

Joel Galand galandj at fiu.edu
Thu Feb 14 10:13:32 PST 2013

With the exception of a few analytical forums that used to be included in JMT years ago, few  of us do analysis anymore (except privately perhaps), if the bar includes reproducing an entire score.  And the end--even in those analytical forums where an article was devoted entirely to one piece--was never only, or even principally, exegesis of the piece itself but rather to demonstrate the analytical potential of one theory or another.  Or, if one takes up an eclectic mode of analysis, then that too is usually the main point--to show how useful it can be to look for "du sens" rather than "le sens" (alluding here to a distinction Roland Barthes once made).

So I like to interpret the term "analysis" generously.

 Joel Galand
Associate Professor of Music Theory
Associate Director for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies
School of Music
Florida International University