[Smt-talk] quick query

Arnie Cox acox at oberlin.edu
Sun Feb 17 08:08:41 PST 2013

Proverbs 25:20:  Whoever sings songs to a heavy heart is like one who takes off a garment on a cold day, and like vinegar on soda.

One gloss:  These things are incongruous:  certain music to a heavy heart, under-dressing in cold weather, vinegar and soda.

More broadly:  "How shall we understand music?  It is like an action upon someone, and it is like a component in a chemical reaction."

Some modern analogs in answering the question of how we might understand music:
- It is like a language
- It is like a thing which moves, in some cases seemingly of its own volition
- it is like a vessel which contains things, and which listeners and performers can move through (like an auditory curio cabinet), and/or which moves past listeners (like a moving curio cabinet)

A slightly different analytical question:  How does music, or this music, work?
- It has *these* objective properties (and relationships among its features)
- It has *these* properties that we attribute to it (via metaphor and/or via its effects upon us) and that we treat as objective properties
- It has these effects upon listeners (and society), whence, the countless historical and current concerns about music's effects

Arnie Cox
Assoc. Prof. of Music Theory
Oberlin Conservatory of Music