[Smt-talk] Gradus ad Parnassu

Paul Cadrin paulcadrin at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:58:02 PST 2014

One author who has been, to my knowledge, entirely ignored in the last 20-so years, is Alvin Etler, and his Making Music: An Introduction to Theory, a superb textbook on counterpoint using the total array of chromatic pitches -- but not necessarily dissonant. What I have considered one of the most fruitful aspects of this approach is to equip students with a systematic way of identifying the degree of "tonalness" or "atonalness" of any combination of pitches, linear or harmonic. I have learned a lot from using the ideas of this book, and so did my students, as far as I know. Is this book still in use somewhere?
Paul Cadrin
Musicologue sans frontières
2-1475, avenue Desjardins
Montréal (Québec) Canada