[Smt-talk] Gradus ad Parnassum

J. Williams jkwillia at uncg.edu
Mon Jan 27 13:23:37 PST 2014

Paul Cadrin writes:

One author who has been, to my knowledge, entirely ignored in the last
20-so years, is Alvin Etler, and his *Making Music: An Introduction to
Theory*, a superb textbook on counterpoint using the total array of
chromatic pitches -- but not necessarily dissonant.

Well not entirely. I've admired Etler's Making Music since it was published
and summarized his ideas about "models" (canti firmi), control and
resolution of dissonance, and tonal focus in the "New Concepts of Tonality"
chapter of my textbook, *Theories and Analyses of Twentieth-Century
Music*(Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Wadsworth-Schirmer, Cengage, 1997).

--
J. Kent Williams, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, Music Studies Dept.
jkwillia at uncg.edu