[Smt-talk] Popular Songs with 3 or more modulations?

Timothy Hughes timothyhughes at mac.com
Wed Jun 18 03:15:36 PDT 2014

Thanks to everyone for all the interesting examples. To get back to the original post, I suspect one of the inspirations for Beyonce’s tune is Stevie Wonder’s “Golden Lady”, which I’ve written about in the past. I like to describe its ending as a sort of hybrid of the extended fadeout vamp of songs like “Hey Jude” and the “Pump-Up” or “Truck Driver” stepwise ascending chorus modulation so familiar to us all. Essentially every other time the chorus repeats at the end of the song it modulates up by a semi-tone. It lasts about 1:20 or so and you can hear about 4-5 modulations before it becomes inaudible. In this respect it’s like the opposite of (and perhaps a conscious answer to) Yes’ “I’ve Seen All Good People”, which modulates by descending semi-tones in a slow fadeout over about the last minute of the song. (This ending, however, doesn’t alternate direct repetitions with modulated repetitions.) The modulations in “Golden Lady” are also rather smoothly done by starting on a minor triad and ending on a Major 9th a semi-tone above. The major 7th and 9th of the final chord are the root and 3rd of the opening chord, smoothing over the direct repeat, while the modulation is accomplished simply through a shift to the parallel minor. There’s also a nice bit of prosody in the segue with the next song on the album, as the chorus lyrics are “Golden Lady, Golden Lady, I’d like to go there”. After Wonder sings that repeatedly while climbing step by step, he fades into… “Higher Ground”. (For more detail, see the second chapter here: https://www.academia.edu/217945/_Groove_and_Flow_Six_Analytical_Essays_on_the_Music_of_Stevie_Wonder_)

Best,

Tim

Dr. Tim Hughes

Department of Music and Sound Recording