[Smt-talk] Decisions

Locke, Ralph rlocke at esm.rochester.edu
Thu May 1 08:07:06 PDT 2014

Jeff Perry says that "bad internet traffic tends to drive out good Internet traffic."  He illustrates this by voting with his feet and announcing that he is unsubscribing to SMT-talk, and he urges us to do the same.

I will not do the same.

If I don't like a thread, I stop reading it.  (The Subject lines were very helpful in this regard in past days.)

I certainly don't think that it was wrong for the original person to tell us about the instance of sexist language (cloaked in teasing humor, as sexist and other prejudicial language often is).  That's part of consciousness-raising, in my opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with how SMT-talk is being run.  Of course, I'm not an SMT member (rather, AMS, IMS, and Soc. for Amer. Music).  So I have no real say in these matters.  But that's my two cents.

Best,
Ralph Locke

Ralph P. Locke
Professor of Musicology
Senior Editor, Eastman Studies in Music (University of Rochester Press)
Eastman School of Music
26 Gibbs St.
Rochester NY 14604-2599
USA