[Smt-talk] Decisions

MICHAEL KLEIN mklein01 at temple.edu
Thu May 1 08:35:25 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I confess that, like Jeff, I often find that postings to SMT-Talk move from
good to bad (or bad to worse). The recent thread on the once-called
"feminine cadence" has been (to me) particularly dismaying in too many ways
for me to enumerate here.

As has been noted, I thought this issue was one we had worked out in the
early 90s.

Each year, I teach a graduate seminar that focuses on an introduction to
the fields of theory and musicology. I usually do at least one week on
gender (looks like I should devote more time to the topic). Students often
tell me that they don't understand what the big deal is, since (to them),
issues of non-sexist language are what my Dean likes to call "a no
brainer." I think next year I'll show them the recent thread to let them
know that, no, these issues haven't been settled (sadly). Sadly (x2), the
thread will also serve to make some of my students stop wondering why there
is such a gender gap in SMT. You could not stage a better forum for driving
women away from theory. We've seen a discussion by primarily men (myself
included) about whether or not sexist language is. . . err. . . really
sexist. We've had one posting trying to tell women (I'm guessing -- the
author never makes the intended audience clear) the best strategy for
overcoming sexist remarks, which sounded a bit like the "sticks and stones"
strategy. Frankly, it's unbelievable to me.

Unlike Jeff, I will not be unsubscribing to SMT for two reasons, one of
which is more high minded than the other. The first reason is that I often
view these things as I would a car wreck. You know you shouldn't slow down
to look, but somehow you can't help yourself. The more high-minded reason
is that I remain hopeful that people's better natures will lead to more
thoughtful discussions of issues in and around music theory.

Having said all of this, I think if you showed the recent thread to members
of a department outside of music theory, you'd find your colleagues to be
appalled.

My 2 cents.

--Michael

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Jeffrey Perry <jperry at lsu.edu> wrote:

>  It’s interesting to recall that the current thread began with a posting
> telling us that after a conference presentation that most of us had not
> heard, a questioner used a term that most of us had never heard of. We were
> then enjoined under no circumstances to use this term.
>

> Predictably, a lengthy series of trolls and counter-trolls ensued. Lost in
> the shuffle were several posts about the actual chord progression that was
> ostensibly referenced in the original posting. Also lost were several
> reminders that SMT has non-sexist language guidelines in placethat, in any
> event, would prevent such sexist provocations as the original bit of
> terminology from making it into a peer-reviewed venue.
>

> As I noticed back in the early ‘90s, bad internet traffic tends to drive
> out good internet traffic; eventually, almost every online discussion venue
> becomes unusable, if it lasts long enough. We’ve reached that point with
> this list, friends. I’m unsubscribing and I urge you to do so as well. The
> SMT Publications Committee will have to tackle this in Milwaukee.
>

> Does smt-talk exist to enhance conversation about published work? Does it
> take the place of published work? Is it a forum for discussion of life as a
> music theorist? Is it intended as a bridge between card-carrying music
> theorists and others with an interest in the field? These questions were
> never answered, and for a long time this was OK as long as the list
> conveyed more information and good, clean fun than noise, ill will and
> vitriol. Thathasn’t been the case for quite some time.
>

> To allow this forum (smt-talk) to continue, spreading heat without light
> and without a clear mission, would be criminal. Its multiple conflicting
> purposes are now fulfilled in any of a number of different ways: social
> media sites dedicated to music theory (as any given person understands the
> term) are not hard to find.
>

> I won’t say “See you later,” as I communicate with many of you in other
> places. But please consider this a plea for some serious decision-making by
> SMT. It’s way past time.
>

>  Jeff Perry
> Professor of Music Theory
> 277 Music and Dramatic Arts
> School of Music, College of Music & Dramatic Arts
> Louisiana State University
> jperry at lsu.edu / (225) 578-3556 (voice) / (225) 578-2562 (fax)

Michael Klein
Chair, Department of Music Studies