[Smt-talk] Scale degrees

Vasili Byros vasili.byros at aya.yale.edu
Thu May 15 12:34:08 PDT 2014

Dear Nick,

The following are just two examples from the first half of the century, of French and German provenance respectively:

1) Dandrieu's Principes de l'accompagnement du clavecin from 1719 (also the first treatise, I believe, to use the term soudominante for scale degree 4).
2) The so-called Kayser copy of the Well-Tempered Clavier (Book I), which features analytic annotations of a couple fugues and a prelude; the annotations include scale-degree analyses of the bass. For a discussion in English, see Lester, Compositional Theory in the Eighteenth Century (1992), 82–85. The Kayser manuscript dates from 1722–23.

Dandrieu uses names (for example, soufinale for the leading tone). The Kayser uses numbers.

All best,
Vasili

Vasili Byros
Assistant Professor, Music Theory and Cognition
Northwestern University
Bienen School of Music
711 Elgin Road
Evanston, IL 60208