[Smt-talk] Audio disability question

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Mon Oct 6 12:51:29 PDT 2014

I have followed this thread with some puzzlement. What remains unclear
to me is what is meant by "recognizing and reproducing pitch height". Is
"recognizing" a matter of absolute pitch? And how are the pitches to be
"reproduced", in singing or in playing – and why pitches?

As to absolute pitch, many around me on this side of the Ocean would
consider that, for a musician, absolute pitch is a defect to be avoided
at all costs (it can be cured). Only a cursory glance at Arthur Mendels
article on "The pitches in use in Bach's time" would soon convince
anyone that if JSBach had suffered absolute pitch, he would rather have
become a painter, or gone mad. He cannot have had AP and nevertheless
was a decent musician, I believe.
     A subsidiary question: could the interest for AP in the US, and the
relative distruss for it in Europe, be linked to our usages with respect
to mobile /vs /fixed solfege – that is, might you be requiring AP
because mobile solfege does not produce it?
     I don't want to rekindle a discussion on this topic, which had been
held here some time ago. I would merely ask whether you are sure that
the skills you are expecting from this student are necessary beyond
doubt? For sure, they are useful for most of your students, if only
because they teach them a discipline (it is like the rule of avoiding
hidden fifths or octaves in part writing: it is useful as a pedagogical
tool), but is it useful in real music?

As to reproducing pitch, does the exercice require singing, or playing
an instrument? Is her incapacity most apparent with isolated pitches, or
does it also concern the reproduction of melodies (at the right pitch or
elsewhere)? Does she have the same problems of recognition and
reproduction with intervals?

My questions, as you can see, shift the problem from whether she is able
to answer the requirements of her formation to whether these
requirements are the right ones. I let you think about that.

Nicolas Meeùs
Professeur émérite
Université Paris-Sorbonne